Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP

Public Service Announcement - 3
My Name Is - 3
Guilty Conscience - 3
97' Bonnie & Clyde - 3
Role Model - 3
My Fault - 3
Ken Kaniff - 2
Rock Bottom - 3
Just Don't Give A Fuck - 3
Soap - 3
As The World Turns - 3
I'm Shady - 3
Still Don't Give A Fuck - 3
Total - 38 stars / 13 tracks = 2.92 stars

Here's my problem. I like Eminem. As a concept and as a rapper, I like Eminem. The problem is, I don't like a lot of his songs, particularly the "killing my wife while my small child watches" ones. I never quite know how to take them, and even if I do decide how, I don't necessarily think these songs should exist. Either he's being serious, in which case, he's a dangerous human being, or he's being ironic, and trying to show the ridiculousness of gangster behaviour, in which case, he's probably a little too authentic.

Later on in his career, he starts to get more honest in his lyrics, and less concerned with slitting throats, but still can't get away from the violence and the misogyny. Listening to Eminem takes the patience to sift through the garbage to find the few really good songs. This album, however, has none.

No comments:

Post a Comment