Friday, December 18, 2009

Living Colour - Vivid


Cult Of Personality - 4
I Want To Know - 4
Middle Man - 3
Desperate People - 3
Open Letter (To A Landlord) - 4
Memories Can't Wait - 3
Broken Hearts - 4
Glamour Boys - 4
What's Your Favorite Color? - 3
Which Way To America - 4
Funny Vibe (Funky Vibe Mix) - 4
Should I Stay Or Should I Go - 4
What's Your Favorite Color? (Theme Song) (Leblanc Remix) - 3
Middle Man (live) - 2
Cult Of Personality (live) - 3
Total - 52 stars / 15 tracks = 3.47 stars

While this may fall a little into the "guilty pleasure" category, I quite enjoyed this album. "Cult Of Personality" belongs in the "so-entrenched-in-my-mind-I-can't-not-like-it" category and "Open Letter (To A Landlord)" wouldn't sound entirely out of place in the Rent soundtrack... and I mean that in a nice way.

The last two song, which are bonus tracks, added onto the 2002 release, were live recordings, which kind of ruined my illuision of what this band was all about. With its absorbing bass parts and catchy vocals, I started to be quite impressed. Then I heard these live tracks, and I lost the recently gained appreciation, figuring that what I was hearing (and enjoying) was studio polish. I didn't love "Middle Man" to start with, and it just sounded bad performed live. The timing and tuning was off. "Cult Of Personality" also suffered (though not as much) in person.

I am going to start imploring that when albums are re-released that any "bonus material" not be crap. Thank you for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment