Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Most Anticipated Movies of 2010

To go hand-in-hand with the greatest (and worst) movies of 2009, let's look ahead to the coming year. I have high hopes, not only because this New Year's was hopefully the last time that there will ever be these stupid glasses:



What're you gonna do now, without two zeros, huh?

There are also a bunch of movies coming out this year, some of which I'm looking forward to, some, not so much. Below is my list of the Top 10 movies I am most excited for. That doesn't mean that I don't have any apprehension about them, it just means, that on some level, I can be almost certain that at some point this year, my ass will be in a seat, watching a screen with these movies playing on it.

11) The Twilight Saga: Eclipse



Release Date: June 30, 2010

Reason: Because I know I'll be seeing it anyway. And because my fiancee made me put it on here.

10) The Wolfman



Release Date: February 12, 2010

Reason: I'm actually kind of reaching here. It was either this or "Daybreakers." With all of the attention on vampires lately, werewolves have been having to bite the (silver) bullet for their turn. I've heard it suggested that angels are going to be the new vampires, but if Wolfman can get it right, that direction may change. Some of the early buzz has suggested that the film may not be as dark and, well, cool, as the trailer suggests, but I very much hope that buzz is all it is. And besides, when was the last time you were disappointed by an Anthony Hopkins movie (not including Beowulf or Hannibal)?

9) Alice In Wonderland



Release Date: March 5, 2010

Reason: Everyone in the world, except for myself, seems to be pooping themselves with excitement to see this. Maybe I just don't have the same infallible opinion of Tim Burton, but I don't expect great things from this movie. I expect it will look incredible (especially since I'll likely see it in 3D), and that I'll be pleasantly surprised that I don't hate it. I guess I'm looking forward to it because of how much I'm not.

8) Kick-Ass



Release Date: April 16, 2010

Reason: I was more excited for this flick before I saw the trailer. Once I did, it felt less like the Sin City-style bloodbath I was hoping for, and more like Superbad meets the episode of Bones where the kid dresses up like a superhero. Here's hoping that my first impressions were right and that this movie is able to avoid the temptation to be precious without substance.

7) Legion



Release Date: January 22, 2010

Reason: I loves me some Paul Bettany. The general angry-angel in the modern world theme also bears some resemblance to Dogma, but I'm not getting my hopes anywhere near that high. Assuming that the action stays a-rockin' and the the plot doesn't take any preachy turns, I expect to enjoy, but not love sitting through this.

6) Shutter Island



Release Date: February 19, 2010

Reason: The trailer looks kind of interesting. I'm hoping for some ridiculous twists and turns, and I loved The Departed. So, I'm either going to be satisfied or quite disappointed. Either way, I'm sure you'll be hearing all about it.

5) Machete

Release Date: April 16, 2010

Reason:



Need I say more? Except, oh wait, it's got Cheech Marin AND Don Johnson! Nash Bridges, FTW.

4) Clash Of The Titans



Release Date: March 26, 2010

Reason: Sam Worthington, from everyone's beloved Avatar plays Perseus, in what looks, to me, to be a bad-ass swords-and-sandals adventure (props to whoever came up with that expression, by the way). I've heard people say they're mad that they're remaking a movie I've never heard of. I've also heard people say that it looks stupid, based on the trailer. Personally, I don't see it. I see a well edited trailer, filled with various baddies and creatures for Perseus to take on. Granted, Liam Neeson looks quite silly as Zeus, and the money shot of the Kraken is excessive, but damnit, I want to see it, and you can't stop me.

3) Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1



Release Date: November 19, 2010

Reason: It's not even so much that I'm excited for this movie that I've been swept up by the excitement. For the last few movies, every time a new trailer comes out (especially when they do that epic powerchord version of the theme) I jump to it and watch it about three times. This is actually the first time that I've seen the poster I just... posted... and, even though you can't see it, there's a bit of a wet spot now on the bed where I'm sitting.

It boggles my mind, because I don't love the movies. I didn't even really love the books. I've just invested so much of my life to the series, that until I see its conclusion, I will not be able to die.

2) Iron Man 2



Release Date: May 7, 2010

Reason: I saw the first one in theatres three times. I have never done that before. It only really happened because I was with various people who hadn't seen it yet, and I said "sure, what the hell?" With that in mind, Iron Man was the charmingest, most thrilling, and simply best superhero movie ever. Whether or not The Dark Knight ended that reign is up for debate, but there is no question that I loved the movie. Having seen the trailer, I'm really stoked, although seeing War Machine doesn't give me the hard-on the rest of the community seems to have (yes, you too, ladies).

1) Inception



Release Date: July 16, 2010

Reason: I am just so friggin' intrigued by this movie. The teasers are just that, vague, but amazing looking visuals that tell you shit all about what's going on. And I don't want to know. Seeing the cast (including Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Cillian Murphy, Ellen Page, and Michael Caine!) and knowing it's directed by Christopher Nolan is more than enough for me. That guy has never steered me wrong (except for Insomnia, but I was fifteen and probably didn't really get it). If The Prestige is any inclination of what Nolan tends to present for his between-Batman movies, I am fully prepared to be blown away.

4 comments:

  1. Movies I want to see in no order whatsoever:

    1: Alice in Wonderland

    Yup, I've got my panties all twisted up over this one like everyone else. I'm prepared to be completely disapointed by Alice (she did //nothing// in the trailer but look pretty and confused) and love the supporting cast. I hope I'm wrong about this, as Alice is my favourite in the books, but we'll see. But the film's visuals make me squee. ^^

    2: Harry Potter

    Because I am a raging fangirl. RAGING FANGIRL.

    3: Twiglight Eclipse

    Partly Trainwreck Fascination, partly Jacob Pretty. And, well, it's /fun/.

    4: Iron Man 2

    I adored the first movie, so I have to remember to shove down my hopes for the sequel, or else I'll be disappointed. But I had so much FUN watching the first, and the second looks to be equally as awesome, so far.

    5: Inception

    If this is the movie I think it is, I will be joining you to go see it. And then I shall likely need a sedative and a long nap, because I have a feeling it is going to fuck with myhead in a glorious but upsetting sort of way.

    6: Rapunzel

    I have been waiting my whole fucking life for Disney to get off its ass and do Rapunzel. That time is finally here. I shall WEEP if it sucks. Now they just need to make the Pied Piper and my life will be complete.

    7: I Am A Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President

    Likely this movie will suck monkey balls. I just like saying the title. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, for the hell of it, the very incomplete list of movies I will NOT be seeing this year:

    1: Legion

    The preview of this gave me nightmares. For DAYS. Hell, DURING the day. I'd be walking down the street, and suddenly remember it, and get little shudders of horror going down my spine. I don't know why. It just seemed to have hit pretty much ALL of my terror squicks.

    That being said, it looked to be damn good (with the possibility of unpleasantly preachy). So some tiny part of me WANTS to see it. But perhaps with a blindfold on. And earplugs in.

    2: Avatar -- The Last Airbender

    The race fail of this movie makes me want to set things on fire. I will probably download an illegal copy of it just so I can rage further. And will have to spend my days struggling not to beat my co-workers/customers with the full force of their excruciating White Privilege for not getting why they should be pissed off about it.

    Ahem.

    3: The myriad of sequels being released for no reason

    Holy shit, I just looked up a list of things coming out this year so I could respond to this post, and WOW. The number of Part 2s of utterly crap movies is just saaaad. I anticipate a very painful year of reviewing for you, Dylan. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy Inception was your number 1, I saw the teaser at the previews for Inglourious Basterds, and I looked it up again recently on youtube, and it just looks so friggen intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Worst. Glasses. Ever.

    2. Ahem. I did, by no means, MAKE you put Eclipse on here. I just said you should because you couldn't think of another one.

    3. Eeeek Alice in Wonderland! And if you're so down on it then I'll just go with Anji!

    4. Serious excitement for Legion (a.k.a. serious excitement for the bad assery that is Paul Bettany in the trailer).

    5. Frank Lapidus' presence is the only reason I would have any interest in Machete. You can go with Zach.

    6. I didn't realize that Sam Worthington, of my BELOVED Avatar, was in Clash of the Titans!!! How did I miss that? I'm so much more excited now!!!

    7. In regards to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One, see Anji's comment.

    8. Don't lie. You saw Twilight three times in theatres too.

    I don't have a nine or a ten. Upsetting.

    ReplyDelete