Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation


Teen Age Riot - 3
Silver Rocket - 3
The Sprawl - 3
Cross The Breeze - 3
Eric's Trip - 3
Total Trash - 3
Hey Joni - 3
Providence - 4
Candle - 3
Rain King - 4
Kissability - 3
Trilogy - 3
Total - 38 stars / 12 tracks = 3.17 stars

This is one of those albums which I just don't get. Reviewing media years, sometimes decades after its initial release, I have the benefit of comparing my own thoughts to countless, far more experienced, and frankly, better critics. Pitchfork called it the best album of the 80's. Rateyourmusic.com calls it the 44th greatest album of all time. I have it ranked somewhere between Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook and Savage Garden's self-titled album.

Mostly, when I heard this album, I heard noise. I'm assuming that that's kind of the point, but in order to receive the kinds of accolades that this album has, there must be some kind of substance or genius beneath all the chaos. There were two tracks that I liked, one being "Providence," which works for me, because, apparently I'm a sucker for the sound of people talking over top of a simple piano line. The other, "Rain King," stuck out because it was the most coherent of the rest. Rather than waiting for the noise to stop, I heard structure, and a few lyrics that I liked.

Honestly, I would like someone to either set me straight, or agree with me. In this case, I am not screaming my opinion to the masses. I'm confused as to how this has become such a highly acclaimed album. So, Hippo Herd, tell me what I'm missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment