Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Garbage - Garbage


Supervixen - 3
Queer - 4
Only Happy When it Rains - 3
As Heaven Is Wide - 4
Not My Idea - 3
A Stroke Of Luck - 4
Vow - 3
Stupid Girl - 3
Dog New Tricks - 3
My Lover's Box - 3
Fix Me Now - 4
Milk - 3
Total - 40 stars / 12 tracks = 3.33 stars

"Supervixen" is a decent enough track, whose early riff stutters made me think my iPod was skipping. I wasn't grabbed by anything else.

"Queer" is one of those rounded-up 3.5 tracks. It's not exceptional, but its tone and better than average lyrics are a good introduction to what Garbage is capable of.

"Only Happy When It Rains" seems to be trying a little too hard to be what would eventually be called emo. It's not as ironic as it thinks it is.

"As Heaven Is Wide" is frenetic and kind of creepy. It's another rounded up 3.5, as it's not as gripping on repeat listening.

As Garbage goes, "Not My Idea" is kind of light. I've never loved "do do do" as lyrics, and the rest of the song isn't much better.

"A Stroke Of Luck" creates a cool ambience that reminds me of The Smashing Pumpkins' "The End Is The Beginning Is The End," although not quite as good.

"Vow" is heavily distorted, to the point of being difficult to understand. The chorus's threat to rip my soul apart goes along with the "Only Happy When It Rains" theme of trying too hard.

"Stupid Girl," "Dog New Tricks," and "My Lover's Box" are unremarkably ungreat/unbad to the point that I can't really think of anything to say about them.

"Fix Me Now" is notable because of its semi-gorgeous layered chorus. Its verses sound like the okay points of the rest of the album.

"Milk"'s ambience is like diet "A Stroke Of Luck." It sort of creates a mood, but the "do do do's" and whiny chorus are what earn it its 3.

So, let me know what you think of this more in-depth kind of review. Would you prefer to hear about each track on an album or just the ones I thought were worth listening to again? I imagine it will have much to do with whether or not I get bored with the album and am willing to listen to it again, but I would still love the feedback.

1 comment:

  1. I would save the detailed reviews for something you're really enthusiastic about. A middle of the road album, such as this one, doesn't merit that much time and effort.

    ReplyDelete