Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mass Effect


My experience with Mass Effect wasn't one of a man playing a video game. It was a relationship. 32 hours may not sound like much time to the hardcore gamers out there, but when one is trying to plan a wedding, plan and orchestrate a move, work a full-time job, and maintain a fairly crummy blog, there isn't much room for distractions. Well, I made room for Mass Effect.

The game experience begins with, as is the case in many RPG's, character creation. Despite a half-assed effort, I ended up with a pretty damned ugly character. I don't know exactly who I was modelling it after, but if Spike from Buffy and Peter Lorre had a baby, that's who my Commander Shepherd would look like. I also decided to be an Infiltrator, focusing on Sniper Rifles and sneaky badassery. The actual gameplay took awhile to get used to, and I initially felt overwhelmed by my unsteady weapon, as well as an incomplete understanding of the use of the unlockable skills. It wasn't until about 2/3rds of the way through the game that I began to use any of them with regularity. Particularly frustrating, I didn't realize that there was a cannon on top of the vehicle you drive when you land on uncharted planets until I reached the second-last level. I spent far too much time chipping away at enemies with endless rounds of machine gun fire, when one or two rockets would have gotten the job done.

The story is as in-depth as they come. With the combination of a compelling narrative, as well as truly variable decisions that affects the outcome, I ended up feeling a stronger connection to my character than ever before; I actually cared what happened in the game. In nearly every dialogue scenario, there is the option of responding kindly/compassionately (earning you "Paragon" points), indifferently, or cruelly/selfishly (earning you "Renegade" points). Although morality has become a standard tool in RPG's, Mass Effect tempts you to stray from your intended morality, and even forces you to make impossible decisions. Faced with the choice do you allow a known enemy to go free or do you destroy them, wiping out their entire race? Do you chose to protect the government you represent or ignore the needs of those few to eradicate a bigger threat? Through your character, you play God (not literally), and are responsible for the lives of billions, most notably your crew.

There is room for some confusion, as your dialogue options are presented as rough outlines of what you're going to say. On one occasion, for instance, when I chose an option that I thought meant I was going to playfully sass another character, I ended up putting a gun to his head. Generally, the options are clear as to how they'll end up, but once in awhile, your character will spew information, or behave in a way you didn't expect.

Speaking of the crew, much of the talk about Mass Effect has touched on its sexual content. From all of the controversy (as well as the fact that there is an achievement for completing a "romantic story"), I had high expectations about how this was all going to turn out. As it turns out, after 32 hours of flirtation and foreplay, I finally bedded one of my crewmates, with the result being a two-minute dialogue scene, which, given the right choices, results in about two seconds of sideboob. Maybe all the stink was about the fact that you can hook up with a blue alien, or that you can be a lesbian, but I'm sure the envelope hasn't finished being pushed when it comes to sexual content in video games.

The main story isn't particularly long. After visiting four or five planets, you catch up to the guy you're chasing and take him on. The side-quests, however, are plentiful. Generally, they involve going to a planet (with the option of investigating and exploring other areas on the planet), heading to a base (based on one of three models), clearing it of baddies, and reaping the spoils. Sometimes there are further twists, but generally, these side-missions are mini dungeon-crawls. What's remarkable about them is that each comes with a compelling enough story that you're able to still want to do them. Even though you just did a mission on a nearly identical map, the motivation behind it is different, as well as the specializations or species of the enemies you're fighting. Regardless, it's incredibly beneficial to take on these extra quests, as they help bulk up your character in preparation for the main mission. By the time I got around to wrapping up the main story, I was at level 42 and was cutting through bad guys like warm butter. I felt like nothing in the 'verse could stop me.

Some last minute things that made me love the game even more

1) The menus: This game has the greatest pause menu I have ever seen. It is loose and easy to maneuver, without scrolling of any kind. It also assumes which menu screen you want to go to and intuitively highlights it.

2) Benefits from achievements: Instead of just getting bragging rights, completing achievements results in bonuses, whether it's improved armour, weapons, or an increase to the level cap.

3) The "Codex": Pretty much anything you want to know about the world of Mass Effect is explained in this handy menu screen. For primary articles, there is even a narrator who reads them out loud to you. Here, you can learn all about the races you encounter, as well as about the future (the game's history) of mankind.

4) No ammo: As explained in the Codex, the progression of weapons development has allowed for the creation of guns that don't require ammunition. You'll have to check the game to fully explain it (mainly because I don't quite get it), but I am nonetheless grateful for not having to constantly seek out fresh rounds. Instead, there "overheating" which prohibits you from firing too many times in quick succession. The starter sniper rifle, for instance, can only be fired about once per second.

5) The Elcor: This was my absolute favourite alien race in the game. With elephant-like bodies and the inability to speak with inflection, they, instead, state the feeling they wish to convey at the beginning of the sentence.

Example:
Elcor 1 - "Excited: I sincerely hope that there will be strippers at this bachelor party."
Elcor 2 - "Chastising rebuke: Do you not remember the mad case of herpes you got last time?

These creatures are just one (although the best) example of the varied, intricate world that Mass Effect creates. Everything has a history and a philosophy. Even the way too frequent and way too long elevator rides are broken up with public radio broadcasts, often telling the stories of your own exploits.


Mass Effect is a beautiful, elaborate, and nearly perfectly executed game that earned every hour of my time.

Rating: 4.75 stars

1 comment:

  1. woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it me boss o and iv logged over 100h of the game i r gamer

    ReplyDelete