Thursday, March 4, 2010

Paul Simon - Graceland


The Boy In The Bubble - 3
Graceland - 3
I Know What I Know - 3
Gumboots - 3
Diamonds In The Soles Of Her Shoes - 3
You Can Call Me Al - 4
Under African Skies - 3
Homeless - 4
Crazy Love, Vol. II - 3
That Was Your Mother - 3
All Around The World Or The Myth Of Fingerprints - 3
Total - 35 stars / 11 tracks = 3.18 stars

We'll start with the two tracks I quite liked. "You Can Call me Al" is a catchy, infectious ditty, with a quick, clever wit to its verses. "Homeless" is a richly harmonied song with the kinds of African flavours that probably have some kind of cultural significance, but I just like the sound of.

The rest of the album cycles through the kinds of songs that I didn't love when Simon & Garfunkel did them. Often, they are hookless ballads that rely on choruses that don't live up to what Simon has shown to be capable of. "I Know What I Know," for instance, could have been great, but is repetitive and unevolving. I think my time will be better spent listening to some old S&G albums.

3 comments:

  1. I love this album. I think a big part of that is because I grew up on -- my parents had it playing in the car all the time.

    I find your comments regarding 'Homeless' to be kind of, troubling.

    "the kinds of African flavours that probably have some kind of cultural significance, but are still aesthetically pleasing to a North American audience."

    I'm not really sure how to take that, or maybe it came out different then you intended, or what. It sorta seems to imply most/much of African flavours are somehow aesthetically UNpleasing to a NA audience, or that the value in this Probably Culturally Significant flavour is found in that IS pleasing to an NA audience.

    I dunno. I'm hoping that this sentence just came out wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to check out the ammendment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amendment is much better stated. ^^

    ReplyDelete