Monday, May 24, 2010

Beck - Odelay


Devil's Haircut - 3
Hotwax - 3
Lord Only Knows - 3
The New Pollution - 3
Derelict - 3
Novacane - 3
Jack-Ass - 4
Where It's At - 3
Minus - 3
Sissyneck - 4
Readymade - 3
High 5 (Rock The Catskills) - 3
Ramshackle - 4
Total - 42 stars / 13 tracks = 3.23 stars, normalized to 3.2 stars

Earlier this month, I wrote about Beck's Mellow Gold, "I've also got Odelay on my to-listen-to list, so hopefully, by that point, Beck has figured out how to be great on a more consistent level." And, in my amateur opinion, I can admit that I was wrong in my prediction. Odelay is more of the same hit-and-miss-but-usually-not-hit electronic-whatsit stuff that he was doing in the other album.

Beck shows capability in a variet of different musical settings, but the best ones focus on the singer/songwriter vibe ("Jack-Ass" or "Ramshackle").

A mainstay of thrift store CD bins, there certainly has been an audience for this album, but there is definitely a split between those who love it, and those, like me, who, aside from the awesome dog on the cover, don't really get the fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment