Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True


Welcome To The Working Week - 3
Miracle Man - 3
No Dancing - 3
Blame In On Cain - 3
Alison - 3
Sneaky Feelings - 3
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - 3
Less Than Zero - 3
Mystery Dance - 3
Pay I Back - 3
I'm Not Angry - 3
Waiting For The End Of The World - 3
Watching The Detectives - 4
Total - 40 stars / 13 tracks = 3.08 stars, normalized to 2.9 stars

Once again, you are witnessing my first experience of a musician who I should already be quite familiar with. Sorry about that. Before listening to this album, the only time I had listened to Elvis Costello was in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, when him and Burt Bacharach sang a song to Mike Myers and Heather Graham. From that, I gather that Costello is a well-respected musician, leaving me to think that the reason I didn't think too highly of the album has more to do with cups of tea, rather than universal appreciation.

I understand that My Aim Is True is generally considered to be a pretty darned great album. Therefore, when I heard 12 similar-sounding less-than-memorable songs, I was quite confused. And, the one track I did quite like, "Watching The Detectives," was made more memorable by its raggae-esque individuality. It's the one song that has a distinguishable personality, and it's a pretty groovy one at that.

That being said, there are tons of people who disagree with me, so don't let me scare you off. Chances are, you'll enjoy it more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment