Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Nick Drake - Pink Moon


Pink Moon - 4
Place To Be - 3
Road - 4
Which Will - 4
Horn - 3
Things Behind The Sun - 4
Know - 4
Parasite - 3
Free Ride - 4
Harvest Breed - 3
From The Morning - 3
Total - 39 stars / 11 tracks = 3.55 stars, normalized to 3.9 stars

There are two serious factors working against this review. One, it's been about two months since I actually listened to the album and two, even while I was listening to it, I was kind of intimidated by the experience. Rateyourmusic.com calls it the 25th greatest of album, so I wanted to make sure I listened to it right.

That being said, I think I was blown away, but that might just be me wanting to sound cool. As fuzzily as I'm recalling it (and, I'll admit, aided by re-listening, although quietly so as not to wake the wife) this is simply good-to-great music with more frequent "great" than most albums manage to piece together. It's also simple and folky enough that you feel like you could be sitting right there, watching and listening to Drake as he creates the hypnotic tunes he does. Not only does the music evoke this image, it makes you yearn for the opportunity to actually be there and see it happen, as though being able to say "I saw Nick Drake" would validate about 63% of your existence.

You may disagree, but for your sake, I hope that when you listen to this album, you feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment