Friday, June 11, 2010

Top 5 Nutbusters

A couple of days ago in the car, it occured to me that there are some things in the world that, despite being nearly impossible, people will invariably attempt. One example is that if you tell people that it is impossible to lick their own elbow, they will likely spend between the next 1 and 10 minutes trying. Along the same line of thinking, if you confront any man, who is comfortable enough to sing in public, with a song that goes insanely far out of his range, he will likely go for it with gusto and little shame. I don't know what compels us to do it, but it's fun to do, and irritating as hell to those around us.

This list is a celebration of the songs that bring this out in us. Each of these songs has a money note that is seductive in its inaccessibility that few men, no matter their voice type, can resist.

*bonus song*

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens



This song ends up ineligible because the falsetto happens all the way through, but I have never heard anyone sing it down the octave. If they did, I'd probably scorn them, either to their face, or on this site. Mad props, though, to the theramin-sounding voice in the middle.

5. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen



The fun starts at 3:16 with the "Galileo"s, but the real testi-rupture happens at the climax at 4:05 with the shrill, piercing high note. Put a group of people together, and ask them to sing along and not a single one will go for one of the lower harmonies.

4. O Night Divine - Traditional



I only post this version because it shows the look that most people get on their faces when they go for the money note. You can see it at 4:08.

3. Grace Kelly - Mika



Just try it. In fact, let's have a contest. If you feel like getting a shout-out, record yourself singing it, put it on Youtube, and I'll link to it. I don't actually have anything to offer to the victor, but I feel like making my reader-monkeys dance.

2. I Believe In A Thing Called Love - The Darkness



How amazing is this video? Even more amazing? Listening to people try to do that third line of the chorus. Generally the first tries end up as warm-up before pretty much finding the right scream the third time around. Or, if you're me, you cuss it up every time but have a blast doing it.

1. Take On Me - a-ha



Did anyone know that a-ha only split up this year? Can anyone name anything other than "Take On Me" that they've done? Regardless, I don't know anyone, except for lead singer Morten Harket, who can make this chorus sound good. This, however, has never stopped any guy from trying. The rest of the chorus builds up anticipation for the climactic moneyshot/note, with a little cuddling afterward. As impossible as it is to hit well, it's even more impossible not to give 'er.

1 comment:

  1. Great list! Thanks especially for including The Darkness.

    And I hope you have also attempted to sing Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You". I know I have!

    ReplyDelete