Thursday, August 19, 2010

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik


The Power Of Equality - 3
If You Have To Ask - 3
Breaking The Girl - 4
Funky Monks - 4
Suck My Kiss - 4
I Could Have Lied - 4
Mellowship Slinky In B Minor - 3
The Righteous And The Wicked - 3
Give It Away - 4
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - 4
Under The Bridge - 4
Naked In The Rain - 3
Apache Rose Peacock - 3
The Greeting Song - 3
My Lovely Man - 3
Sir Psycho Sexy - 4
They're Red Hot - 3
Total - 59 stars / 17 tracks = 3.47 stars, normalized to 3.8 stars

Of all of the Red Hot Chili Peppers albums, this is the one that you're supposed to love, and I did, although, as far as I'm concerned it's pretty much on par with the other two I've heard, By The Way and Californication.

Comparitively, Blood Sugar Sex Magik owes a lot more to two elements, rap and sex, than either of the aforementioned. The rap is an obvious one, since so much of the lyrics are uttered with a sweat-inducing speed.

Then there's the sex. The two best examples are "Suck My Kiss," which is as dirty as it sounds, and "Sir Psycho Sexy," which will either have you either taking a vow of abstinence or grabbing the next carbon-based life form you see to do 'em right then and there.

Another song of note is "I Could Have Lied," which, despite its overzealous use of the word "never," is a soft-spoken, pretty song song that helps relax the otherwise sexy energy of most of the rest of the album.

So, while I may not be bowing down to the gods of Blood Sugar Sex Magik like I'm supposed to, I'm feeling quite reaffirmed in the belief that Red Hot Chili Peppers simply make great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment