Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Big Star - #1 Record


I don't know much about Big Star. I know that "In The Street" was covered and improved upon by Cheap Trick, most famously known as the theme song for That 70's Show. I also know that Alex Chilton is dead. Beyond that, I now only know what I've learned from listening to their first album, #1 Record.

What I've learned is that I don't really love Big Star. The album showcases a couple of pretty, innocent-sounding songs, "Thirteen" and "Give Me Another Chance." Otherwise, #1 Record is a mix of similar-sounding sad strums and uninspired hard-ish rock tunes. Toward the end is a pleasant mood-breaker in "Watch The Sunrise," a cheery acoustic song that makes me question whether I was being too indifferent with the earlier songs. So, I listened again, and I'm sticking by it.

Rating: 3.3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment