Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Replacements - Tim


A few months back, I listened to a little album by a band called "The Replacements." This album was called Pleased To Meet Me, and I was fairly indifferent to it. So, it comes as a bit of a pleasant surprise to me to realize that I quite like Tim.

The first song is the quirky, finding-the-extraordinary-in-the-ordinary, "Kiss Me On The Bus," all about, as the title suggests, kissing on the bus. The song has a charm about it that makes you want to celebrate things that you would normally take for granted. Coincidentally, I listened to this song while waiting at a bus stop, and had a great time of it.

A similar feeling comes from "Waitress In The Sky," a catchy ditty about, unless I'm mistaken, a flight attendant.

Then there's "Bastards Of Young," a proto-grungy refusal of parental identity... or something.

The album wraps up with its best song, and, for my limited money, one of my favourites in recent memory, "Here Comes A Regular." Rarely does a song so perfectly capture the feelings of a situation, but with this final track, The Replacements nail down the feeling of self-inflated importance and disappointment that comes from being a familiar face to the unremarkable, followed by the desolation of realizing even those you have dropped your standards to mingle amongst couldn't care less when you walk through the door.

And, on that happy note:

Rating: 3.7 stars





Later Today: One Week

No comments:

Post a Comment