Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish


Gish has forced me to change what I look for when I'm listening to music. Being much more guitar and riff powered than most of the Pumpkins' follow-up albums, I have found myself more attracted to sections and solos than entire songs.

Take "Siva," for example. I am by no means in love with the song as a whole, but I can't help but get caught up in the heavy, awesome sound of the guitars. Throw that solo in, and I have almost entirely forgotten what anything else sounds like.

If you want an even better solo, check out the one in "Bury Me" around the 2:00 mark. This song also has the added benefit of an incredible bass part that gets you going right from the start.

Gish is not a one trick pony, however. With "Crush," you've got a song that stands out, not for heavy guitars, but for its more subdued, sparse, and very pretty sound.

"Crush" is immediately followed up by similarly-paced "Suffer." While it doesn't have the same, immediate emotional resonance, it's still a song with a great sound and beat, that serves as a perfectly good use of five minute and eleven seconds.

There are other songs with sections of note, such as "Snail"'s fantastic breakdown or the combined awesomeness that make up the guitar and especially drum parts of "Tristessa" but in the case of those two, the great sections are stand-outs of pretty okay songs.

At ten tracks long, there isn't a ton of Gish to sift through to find the gems, but they are there, and they are worth the wade.

Rating: 3.6 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment