Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tom Petty - Wildflowers


Tom Petty, for me, is one of those people you're aware of, and you're pretty sure you should know them better than you do, but you don't, and you've never really bothered to get to know them any better. That's how I felt about Tom Petty. Then, I listened to Full Moon Fever, and I felt more comfortable with the fact that I don't know much Tom Petty. Now, based on a recommendation, I have also listened to Wildflowers, the second of Tom Petty's three solo albums. I like it a bit better than Full Moon Fever, but I'm still a ways away from calling myself a Tom Petty fan.

The album starts off with "Wildflowers," which sounds quite a bit like something you'd expect to hear in a travel commercial.

I like "You Don't Know How It Feels" but I'm not entirely sure why. It's a song that's remarkable in its unremarkableness. It's not special, but it's comfortable with that fact, and you end up with a nearly anthemic listening experience.

"Honey Bee" is a song so outrageous that I can't help but adore it. It takes the honey/sweetness theme to such silly places, that, more than anything, you have to respect the balls it takes to release something to absurd.

The follow-up, "Don't Fade On Me," is probably the song on the album with the most integrity. It's got a memorable, but off-enough-to-be-intriguing chorus. It's got a soft, introspective feeling that stands out from everything else by not standing out, but rather maintaining its unique sound.

Rating: 3.1 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment