Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Prince - Purple Rain

Let's Go Crazy - 3
Take Me With U - 3
The Beautiful Ones - 4
Computer Blue - 2
Darling Nikki - 4
When Doves Cry - 4
I Would Die 4 U - 3
Purple Rain - 3
Total - 26 stars / 8 tracks = 3.25 stars

Thoughts:

I'm worried that I don't get this album. Time magazine called it the 15th greatest album of all time back in 1993. Music fansite "RateYourMusic.com" has it listed as the 3rd best album of 1984. I guess it was a slow year. Either that or I am far enough distanced from the 80's that this kind of music just doesn't appeal to me. I've got no problem admitting that Prince is an incredible vocalist, but mostly I was bored by this album. A perfect example is "Beautiful Ones" which was just plodding along, nothing to it, until the last two redemptive minutes when Prince starts screaming his brains out. These raw, empassioned moments are the few appealing snatches of this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment