Friday, November 20, 2009

Beastie Boys - Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds Of Science

Beastie Boys - 2
Slow And Low - 3
Shake Your Rump - 3
Gratitude - 4
Skills To Pay The Bills - 3
Root Down - 3
Believe Me - 2
Sure Shot - 4
Body Movin' (Fatboy Slim Remix) - 4
Boomin' Granny - 2
Fight For Your Right - 3
Country Mike's Theme - 3
Pass The Mic - 3
Something's Got To Give - 3
Bodhisattva Vow - 3
Sabrosa - 3
Song For The Man - 3
Soba Violence - 3
Alive - 3
Jimmy James - 3
3 MC's & 1 DJ (Live Video Version) - 3
The Biz vs. The Nuge - 2
Sabotage - 4
Shadrach - 3
Brass Monkey - 3
Time For Livin' - 3
Dub The Mic - 3
Benny And The Jets - 2
The Negotation Limerick File - 3
I Want Some - 3
She's On It - 2
Son Of Neckbone - 3
Get It Together - 4
Twenty Questions - 4
Remote Control - 3
Railroad Blues - 3
Live Wire - 2
So What'cha Want - 4
Netty's Girl - 3
Egg Raid On Mojo - 2
Hey Ladies - 3
Intergalactic - 3
Total - 125 stars / 42 tracks = 2.98 stars

I'm going to need an interpreter or something in order to understand why the Beastie Boys are (or were) popular. The only tracks that I particularly liked were the ones where the mixing put more attention on some kind of wicked riff or beat, with less focus on the guys rapping. Aside from that, most of the tracks were leaning toward a 2-star before I got hooked with some kind of line that made me think "okay, maybe it's not that bad." Then, there's the garbage tracks like "Boomin' Granny" and the cover of "Benny And The Jets," which I think is supposed to be funny, but isn't.

In some cases, I started to understand how the Beastie Boys came to influence other music. By combining the ideas of the song with random pop cultural references in order to facilitate a rhyme, they have provided useful tools to bands like Sum 41 and LFO. Being influential is not necessarily a good thing. If I punched a squirrel in the face, which inspired three other instances of squirrel battery, I would not consider myself a success.

So, if anyone can explain it to me. I would love to know, so that I don't feel like I wasted the last two hours of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment