Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman

Where Do The Children Play? - 4
Hard Headed Woman - 3
Wild World - 4
Sad Lisa - 4
Miles From Nowhere - 3
But I Might Die Tonight - 3
Longer Boats - 3
Into White - 3
On The Road To Find Out - 3
Father And Son - 4
Tea For The Tillerman - 4
Total - 38 stars / 11 tracks = 3.45 stars

This is the first album that has made me seriously entertain the idea that mathematical ratings may not be the best method of rating an album. Then I remember my own infallibility, and I start to feel a lot better. That being said, listening to this album, I had the feeling that "Tea For The Tillerman" is one of those rare instances where an album is better than the sum of its parts. There are certainly some great songs. For instance, when "Sad Lisa" hits its climax, it strikes with real emotional resonance. Other songs, without being standalone singles that will end up on a playlist, still offer a comforting experience, like you're sitting as part of a song circle.

I should also note that my favourite (as well as least favourite) track is "Tea For The Tillerman" if for no other reason than its use during the closing credits of "Extras." Loving the song comes from loving the show and having it be an incredibly effective way of wrapping up the show. Hating it comes from having it signal the end of a series whose run was far too short.

Back to the album, even doing the "rating of averages," "Tea For The Tillerman" is still a solid piece of work that deserves repeated listenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment