Tuesday, November 24, 2009

5 Pop Culture Phenomena I Prejudicially Hate Without Giving A Fair Chance

5. The cast change in "The Twilight Saga"

It was announced months ago that Bryce Dallas Howard would replace Rachelle Lefevre as the evil vampire, Victoria, for the third installment of "The Twilight Saga" called "Eclipse." There are a few possible contributing factors to my responding rage. Maybe it's because Lefevre appears to have gotten a raw deal, maybe it's because casting changes are distracting, but at the end of the day, Lefevre didn't blow me away, and I care just a little bit less about Howard. The possibility that she may be a better actress, or even just better for the role, is not in any way relevent. The bottom line is that I care way more than I should.

4. The Jonas Brothers cover of "Rolling Stone" magazine:



I am outraged about this because others are outraged about this. I, however, have never heard the Jonas Brothers, and therefore cannot pretend to have any kind of opinion about them as musicians, celebrities, or people. Similarly, I have also never read a Rolling Stone magazine. I have a faint awareness of some kind of prior glory that has been "sold out" by putting pop stars on its cover, resulting in the furor that I am apparently being drug into.


3. Crossroads



In all fairness, this movie is likely garbage. I, however, cannot fairly make this judgment without having seen it. That does not stop me from using it as a reference point when talking about bad movies. I even made fun of it in my New Moon review. It's an interesting phenomenon that something has such a reputation for being bad that even I, someone who has never experienced it, can trust on its universal acceptance as crap. An yes, that is Uhura on the right.


2. Star Trek: Enterprise



I have fond memories of sitting with my family, watching the series finale of "Star Trek: The Next Generation." I also remember religiously tuning into "Star Trek: Voyager" from nearly start to finish during its entire run. I don't know if it was just Trekkie exhaustion or if I figured that things couldn't get any better, I hated "Enterprise" right from the get-go, without ever watching it.


1. The Buffy reboot

Despite it being Joss Whedon's love-child, Fran Rubel Kuzui owns the "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" franchise. She is the one who directed the original movie. That's the same movie that drove Whedon to atonement by way of the television series. Now, Kuzui is talking about starting over, and rebooting the franchise with all new characters and, most blasphemously, sans Whedon. While the first movie is a decent shitometer (that's like a barometer for the potency of shit) of what's to come, there is a distinct possibility that it will be good. Even if it is, I still hate it to death.

1 comment:

  1. Crossroads is not a horrible movie, it wasn't mind-blowing, but it wasn't gut-wrenching awful either...

    ReplyDelete