Sunday, November 1, 2009

Shaving Cream/Gel Challenge

A few weeks ago, I was informed that the shaving cream that I was using was both bad for my face and for the environment. The shaving cream in question was "Edge Advanced Shave Gel." Based on this recommendation, I sought out the suggested eco/self-friendly option, called "Kiss My Face Vanilla Earth Moisture Shave." After using it, despite my bottom half of my head smelling amazing, I was by no means enamored with the product. My face didn't feel as smooth afterward, my disposable razor was ruined beyond a second use because of the goopy nature of the cream, and it was altogether a less enjoyable shave. So, inspired by this knowledge, and by my love of Edge, I decided that I would do the research for myself, and decide whether or not the Earth is worth a smooth shave.

First of all, Kiss My Face certainly does appeal to my beliefs. Based on their website (http://www.kissmyface.com), they are devoted to:
No artificial colors (which I couldn't care less about)
No animal testing (which my vegetarian self very much appreciates)
No animal ingredients (see above)
No unnecessary chemicals (which is the main thrust of what I am going to be looking at.

Let's compare this to Edge's website, which offers product information, shaving tips, and a really stupid application called "Gel Girls Video Chat" where you can type in pick-up lines and get pre-scripted video reactions from three women sitting on a couch. For the record, typing "This situation makes me uncomfortable, I'm going to leave now" get you the answer "Instead of making statements, try asking us questions." The website offers nothing in terms of actual information, and the company's statement seems to be to get its customers laid.

Onto the ingredients. Edge Shave Gel is made up of:

1) Water: No issues here

2) Palmitic Acid: A fatty acid whose derivatives were used during World War II to create napalm. This is not necessarily a condemning fact, since y'know, it's not like I'm actually shaving with napalm. It's just a possible source. The World Health Organization, however, seems pretty convinced that eating this stuff increases risk of cardiovascular diseases. Other groups have found that it can be beneficial to blood lipids and cardiovascular disease. I'm not saying that the controversy makes it all come out in the wash, I just think it's important to consider both sides.

3) Triethanolamine: An organic chemical compound which acts as a pH balancer in cosmetic products. It can be used to produce nitrogen mustards (see feelings about the napalm thing above), and while it may have potential health effects, the low concentration in products makes the chances very slim, particularly since it cannot penetrate the skin.

4) Stearic Acid: A saturated fatty acid, usually prepared by treating animal fat. It is considered "less unhealthy" than other saturated fatty acids.

5) Isopentante: This chemical has a boiling point just a few degress above room temperature.

6) Sunflower Seed Oil Glyceride

7) Sorbitol: A sugar alcohol, often used in diet foods. It is often used as a laxative. It is ususally used on cosmetics acs a thickener. Overingestion of sorbitol can cause abdominal pain, gas, and diarrhea. It can aggrivate irritable bowel syndrome and has caused such excessive diarrhea (from the consumption of sugar-free gums) to create a 24lb. weight loss in a 114 lb. woman.

8) Isobutane: Used as a propellant in aerosol sprays, safety concerns have been raised due to explosions in refrigerators using isobutane (popularized after health concerns about freon).

9) PVP: Extremely toxic to aquatic life. Made from synthetic mineral origins.

10) Parfum: Based on the vagueness of this classification, it is impossible to know the source or composition of the particular product.

11) Glycerine: Bush's fourth single, off the album "Sixteen Stone." Also, a sweet-tasting viscous liquid of low toxicity. Created by the treatment of animal fat, although it is possible to get as a byproduct of refining cooking oils. Can be used as a sweetener with the same caloric cost as sugar, but without impacting blood sugar levels. This is what provides the lubrication (eg. the feeling of a good shave). Also used as a laxative. Also has moisturizing properties. Historically, has been substituted with the lethal "diethylene glycol," as a cheaper alternative, but this practice is highly illegal.

12) Tocopheryl Acetate: A common vitamin supplement. Provides protection against the sun's UV rays.

13) PEG-90M: A categorization for Polyehtylene Glycols. Not safe for use on injured or damanged skin. Shows reproductive effects at very low doses. Given classifications of "Expected to be toxic or harmful" and "Medium Human Health Priority" by Environmental Canada Domestic Substance List. One or more In Vitro tests on mamallian cells show positive mutation results. (source: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=721974&nothanks=1)

14) Aloe Barbadensis: aka Aloe Vera

15) FD&C Blue #1: A synthetic dye derived from coal tar. Previously banned in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland, but is now mostly unbanned. Can cause an allergic reaction in asthmatics.

Now, knowing what I know, I have a few questions I want to ask Edge, particularly concerning some of the more vague ingredients (such as Parfum and the source of their glycerine), but unless I get extremely enticing answers, it looks like I am going to keep smelling like vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment