Monday, November 2, 2009

Ani Difranco - Revelling/Reckoning

Ain't That The Way - 3
O.K. - 3
Garden Of Simple - 4
Tamburitza Lingua - 4
Marrow - 4
Heartbreak Even - 4
Harvest - 3
Kazoointoit - 3
Whatall Is Nice - 3
What How When Where (Why Who) - 4
Fierce Flawless - 4
Rock Paper Scissors - 3
Beautiful Night - 3
Your Next Bold Move - 3
This Box Contains - 4
Reckoning - 4
So What - 4
Prison Prism - 4
Imagine That - 4
Flood Waters - 3
Grey - 5
Subdivision - 5
Old Old Song - 3
Sick Of Me - 3
Don't Nobody Know - 4
School Night - 4
That Was My Love - 4
Revelling - 3
In Here - 3
Total - 105 stars / 29 tracks = 3.62 stars

I came into this album by way of Value Village. I was aware of the fact that I liked the song "Both Hands," so I assumed that I would like anything else by Difranco. As it turns out, this was one of the best albums I've heard in awhile.

Some tracks didn't really do it for me, particularly when she dips into a free jazz sort of feeling, with too much muted trumpet for my tastes, but I'm sure someone else will love it. Instrumentally, voice and guitar is what Ani Difranco is known for, but she should be commended for trying to expand the horizons (like with the accordian at the end of "Grey").

Speaking of "Grey," the two-track combo "Grey" and "Subdivision" is one of the best sequences I have ever heard, along with the power-pairing of "Here Is No Why" and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" on Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness."

"Revelling/Reckoning" is a thoughtful, evocative double album that changes things up enough to keep you interested, while Difranco's lyrics are sure to keep you grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment