Friday, November 20, 2009

Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence

The Sounds Of Silence - 4
Leaves That Are Green - 3
Blessed - 3
Kathy's Song - 3
Somewhere They Can't Find Me - 4
Anji - 4
Richard Cory - 4
A Most Peculiar Man - 3
April Come She Will - 3
We've Got A Good Thing Goin' - 4
I Am A Rock - 4
Blues Run The Game - 3
Barbiallen - 3
Rose Of Aberdeen - 3
Roving Gambler - 3
Total - 51 stars / 15 tracks = 3.40 stars

A lot of the time, I love Simon & Garfunkel. Their "Greatest Hits" is one my favourite albums of all time and many of those tracks come off of this, their second release.

One song that I recognized that I hadn't heard in years was "Richard Cory." This song, somehow, was part of a class that I took back in grade 5 or 6, where we broke down the song in order to figure out its device. Thinking about it now, it seems a little inappropriate to have been analyzing songs about suicide and orgies (my teacher said that it just meant "a big party"), but apparently Mme. Modesto thought we were up to it.

The issue of the album that I listened to had four "Bonus Tracks" on it. I have mixed feelings about "Special Editions" of CD's. When it comes to movies, all you generally get are special features. Things get more complicated when you add things like alternate endings or Director's Cuts. With albums, do these tracks count as part of the release? Since I didn't think that any of the extra four songs were anything other than standard Simon & Garfunkel fare, does that mean that I liked "Sounds of Silence" less? Or does it mean that I liked this issue less than I would have liked the original, shorter version? Mathematically, it does, since it would have come up with a total score of 3.55 if those tracks weren't on there. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that these "Bonus Tracks" were probably just filler for a special edition, rather than any kind of actual bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment