Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Baby Elephant - Turn My Teeth Up!





The Search (Skit) - 3
Baby Elephants N Thangs - 3
Plainfield - 4
Cool Runnins - 3
Master (Skit) - 4
If You Don't Wanna Dance - 3
Even Stranger - 3
Crack Addicts In Love - 3
Turn My Teeth Up! - 3
Plug (Skit) - 3
How Does The Brainwave? - 3
Skippin Stonze - 3
Scratchinatanitchouttareach - 3
Fred Berry - 3
Take Me To Brazil (Skit) - 3
Total - 47 stars / 15 tracks = 3.13 stars

I have actually reviewed this album before, for the University of Western Ontario Gazette. I only mention this because I was wrong when I wrote about it. In my naivete (back on 20 September, 2007), I wrote (and I imagine that I will likely get sued for reprinting my own words):

"Alternative rap innovator Prince Paul teams up with frequent collaborator Newkirk and Bernie Worrell (or Parliament-Funk and Talking Heads fame) to create Baby Elephant.
In their debut album, Paul and Newkirk alternatre music with skits in which they seek out Worrell to discover the secrets of funk. Half of these skits are hilarious original dialogue, but the other half are just sound bytes sampled from Worrell's DVD. Rather than continuing the story, these clips act like a 'We're Not Worthy' shout-out to Worrell's illustrious past.
Refusing to keep to just one style, 'Turn My Teeth Up!' is an eclectic mix of hip-hop, reggae, and, of course, funk. While the transitions between genres are somtimes jagged and non-sensical, nearly every track is immensely enjoyable.
Another of the album's highlights is the presence of so many guest collaborators. Reggie Watts, Yellowman, and Nona Hendryx, who has a beautiful song called 'Crack Addicts In Love,' all make great use of their chance to shine.
Even George clinton gets in on the action, although his tracks are among the few disappointments on this disc. You have to be doing something right if the worst you have to offer is George Clinton.
More than anything, 'Turn My Teeth Up!' has a great tone and refuses to take itself seriously . It's bound to be a fn album when, after imparting the secrets of funk, Worrell asks the others if they could do him a favour and 'clean up the dog's shit.'"

There is a lot in there that's true. The skits are simply DVD-pushing blowjobs for Worrell. Also, the George Clinton track is still probably my least favourite. Where I went off track is by describing each song as being "immensely enjoyable." Really, they're okay. Plainfield was the best one, and "Turn My Teeth Up!" would have been better if it focused on the keyboard solos, and get less caught up in the backing rhythms. The Nona Hendryx track that I spoke so highly of is really nothing special. I am generally a fan of variety, which this album has in spades, but, as I've learned in two years, different styles does not inherently make a good album. The songs have to be good on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment