Saturday, December 12, 2009

Korn - Untitled


Intro - 3
Starting Over - 4
Bitch We Got A Problem - 4
Evolution - 3
Hold On - 4
Kiss - 2
Do What They Say - 3
Ever Be - 3
Love And Luxury - 3
Innocent Bystander - 3
Killing - 3
Hushabye - 3
I Will Protect You - 2
Total - 40 stars / 13 tracks = 3.08 stars

The album starts off with a creepy carnival sort of tone that announces "Hey, we can still be dark, 'cause people hate clowns! Right?" For the next chunk of the album, I thought it was pretty solid, particularly "Starting Over," "Bitch We Got A Problem," and "Hold On." They're by no means perfect songs, but they're servicable single-type tracks that I wouldn't mind hearing again.

After that (and in between), things just sort of coast along, with mediocre songs, boasting mediocre-to-bad lyrics. The lyrics to "Kiss," for instance, may or may not have been stolen from a tween cutter's Diaryland account. Or, I guess it's Twitter now... although how much angst can you really fit into 140 characters? Anyway. The song's not great.

Then, there's my favourite track to make fun of, "Innocent Bystander." This one sounds like wrestler "Big Bossman"'s entrance theme, from the WWF days. See for yourself:
Innocent Bystander
Big Bossman
You know your band is probably already past its peak when you start stealing the music of dead wrestlers.

That being said, I didn't hate this album as much as many Korn fans did. I felt about the same about it as I did "Issues" and "Follow The Leader." They're all okay albums, with good tracks on each, but they're never going to be my favourite band.

No comments:

Post a Comment