Friday, December 11, 2009

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire


A Sort Of Homecoming - 3
Pride (In The Name Of Love) - 4
Wire - 4
The Unforgettable Fire - 3
Promenade - 3
4th Of July - 3
Bad - 4
Indian Summer Sky - 3
Elvis Presley And America - 2
MLK - 4
Total - 33 stars / 10 tracks = 3.30 stars

I bought this album based on suggestions from my favourite music database (aside from this one), called Rate Your Music.com. Because I loved "Achtung Baby," it seems to think that I am going to LOVE everything that U2 did prior to 1994. As it turns out, I think they're pretty okay.

I struggled, however, in rating these tracks, because it's tricky differentiating between familiarity and affection. I am so absolutely AWARE of "Pride (In The Name Of Love)," for instance, that it would seem bizarre, or like I was trying to make some kind of statement, if I didn't 4-star it. The same goes for "MLK" because I've heard choral arrangements so many times over. I do think that I like these songs, but I don't know if it's possible for me not to because they are so engrained in myself. I would have to learn to hate myself, and if that happened, then I'd feel all compelled to go to church, and that's just not something I'm willing to do.

What I'm sure of is that I didn't like "Elvis Presley And America." It was boring and dissonant.

So, other than the tracks that have blended into my existence (and a few surprise ones, like "Bad"), I think that one should drop the prefix, and just call this "The Forgettable Fire." See what I did there, with the cleverness? I know... I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment