Monday, December 14, 2009

Morrissey - Vauxhall And I


Now My Heart Is Full - 4
Spring-Heeled Jim - 3
Billy Budd - 3
Hold On To Your Friends - 3
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get - 3
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself - 3
I Am Hated For Loving - 4
Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning - 4
Used To Be A Sweet Boy - 3
The Lazy Sunbathers - 3
Speedway - 3
Total - 36 stars / 11 tracks = 3.27 stars

While I do hate when people say that a band isn't good because "all they're songs sound the same" (for the record, I spelt it "they're" because these people are the kind of dismissive folk that generally don't bother to differentiate between "there/their/they're"... and I hate them for that, too), I found myself thinking the same thing when listening to this album. So, instead, I will say that "Vauxhall And I" carries a consistent, familiar sound throughout the album.

The only real deviation comes in certains bouts of intensity ("I Am Hated For Loving," "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning"), which may or may not improve the overall experience for listeners.

I will admit that this review is slightly flawed. After ripping the CD onto my computer (in order to listen to it upon the iPod), I listened to it, and was surprised that the last song was only 18 seconds long. I looked at the title and saw that it was "Speedway" and figured that it was just a clever, if not really out of place joke track. It even fades out at the 0:18 mark. Turns out the song is actually 4:29 long and that it just didn't rip properly. Oops. I've now listened to it on Youtube, and I stick by my 3-star rating, although the last 4:11 is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment