Monday, December 14, 2009

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico


Sunday Morning - 3
I'm Waiting For The Man - 3
Femme Fatale - 3
Venus In Furs - 4
Run Run Run - 3
All Tomorrow's Parties - 3
Heroin - 4
There She Goes Again - 3
I'll Be Your Mirror - 4
The Black Angel's Death Song - 4
European Son - 3
Total - 37 stars / 11 tracks = 3.36 stars

So, once again, I've been incredibly intimidated by an album before experiencing it. Allegedly one of the greatest albums of all time, I can only assume that this is because of its influentialness or "get-shit-rolling" ability. I did like it, I just didn't "Sgt. Pepper's" love it.

For starters, I am not big fan of Nico's voice. I dunno if it's her super-long German esses, or just the general tone she creates, I wasn't a fan of most of her songs. To prove my open-mindedness, I was willing to like "I'll Be Your Mirror."

I am likely entirely out of line in saying this, but most of the songs that I 3-starred, were because I was kind of bored listening to them. I was expecting a lot of weird, experimental stuff (which I did later get in "Venus In Furs" and "Heroin"), but a lot of it came across as safe. I imagine that 40 years later, "VU & Nico" is not going to push the envelope as much as it used to, but it's certainly impressive that it continues to challenge listeners as much as it does, four decades later.

I've been told that with my pop-leaning sensibilities, I will probably like VU's "Loaded" better. That's why it's on deck, and coming up soon. I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, was definitely going to suggest "Loaded" to you as well. Either Loaded or VU would be my favourite album by the Velvet Underground.

    I tend to agree with you on Nico, though I know lots of people who go the exact opposite way as well. I personally found that the best work on the album didn't really include Nico.

    ReplyDelete