Thursday, December 24, 2009

U2 - War


Sunday Bloody Sunday - 3
Seconds - 3
New Year's Day - 3
Like A Song... - 3
Drowning Man - 4
The Refugee - 3
Two Hearts Beat As One - 3
Red Light - 3
Surrender - 3
"40" - 3
Total - 31 stars / 10 tracks = 3.10 stars

For months now, U2's "War" has been sitting at the top of my recommendation list over at RateYourMusic.com, and now that I've finally gotten around to it, I'm really wondering why. With the exception of "Drowning Man," nothing grabbed me about it, and even that one was better the first time around (I think it was the harmonics that grabbed me... stupid pretty sounding guitar trickery). Even "Sunday Bloody Sunday" felt familiar, but uninteresting, like running into a cousin you don't really like at the mall.

I will likely be crucified for saying this, but "War" is my least favourite U2 album. I'm by no means a huge fan, but even "All That You Can't Leave Behind" did more for me than "meh" inducing effort.

2 comments:

  1. Your next door neighbourFebruary 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM

    DUDE!! Sunday Blood Sunday you only gave a 3!! Did you have earplugs in? Because heartache and passion just oozes out of that song. Bloody Sunday had an incredible impact on Ireland's history and affected so many people and the song was so incredibly well written and executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention rolling stone listed it as the 268th best song of all time

    ReplyDelete