Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen


Waking The Fallen - 4
Unholy Confessions - 3
Chapter Four - 3
Reminissions - 3
Desecrate Through Reverence - 3
Eternal Rest - 3
Second Heartbeat - 3
Radiant Eclipse - 3
I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 - 4
I Won't See You Tonight Part 2 - 3
Clairvoyant Disease - 3
And All Things Will End - 3
Total - 38 stars / 12 tracks = 3.17 stars

To provide some context, I have never listened to Avenged Sevenfold before. I picked up their album because I wanted to listen to something I had never listened to before, and it was on the discount shelf (rarely a good sign). Months later, I've finally gotten around to it, and the first track, "Waking The Fallen" had me thinking that I was going to be in for some intense, zombie-waking rock music. 'I could like this,' I thought. Then I listened to the rest of the album and kind of wanted to pinch Avenged Sevenfold's cheeks, saying "Who's a little hellraiser? Who's a little hellraiser?"

With all of their attempts to be considered unholy, the music was unengaging, although it might not be a bad album to work out to. The high point comes during and after the bridge of "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1," where that ethereal power rock comes back, mixed with a simple, pretty piano part. One the guys start singing choral "whoas," though, the intensity goes right back down the crapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment