Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sherlock Holmes


Funny story about me seeing this movie. A mutual friend of myself and my fiancée had not yet seen Avatar. So, the fiancée and her made arrangements to check it out, while I would tag along to catch a slightly later showing of Sherlock Holmes. We were late, and the friend, out of considerable generosity, picked up the tickets, so that it wouldn't sell out. Upon arrival, I was surprised to see a ticket waiting for me as well. Gratefully, I took it, and my heart plummeted to somewhere in the area between my navel and my colon when I saw that it, too, was for Avatar. Not quite knowing how to politely address the issue, I started to prepare myself for three hours of what Brian Prisco of Pajiba referred to as "Dances With Wolves as performed by cerulean cat-monkeys." Thankfully, she recognized the error, and even stood in line with me to swap the ticket before I went through all that again. Thanks, Angie.

Onto Sherlock.

I love, love, loved Robert Downey Jr., and especially Jude Law, as Holmes and Watson. I don't have a lot to compare them to, having only really seen the characters played out by cartoon mice


and the combination of Data and Geordi La Forge


, but their respective takes on the characters made the movie.

RDJ (how else are you supposed to shorten his name? Downey? Downey Jr.? Jr.?)'s take on Holmes is one of physical self-knowledge, immense superiority, and social ineptitude (brought on by the first two). He's the smartest son-of-a-bitch around, and he knows it. Most novelly (at least to me), he brings his intuition to the harsh, violent streets of London. On several occasions, we are privy to the inner workings of Holmes' mind, wherein he narrates his sequential plan of attack, accompanied by the corresponding visuals, before suddenly acting it out, in a flurry of methodical punches, kicks, and chops. These sequences are a ton of fun, and thankfully, not overused.

Holmes is also adorable in his bromantic need for Watson. They share a Superbad-esque co-dependence that neither really tries to hide. It's a little uncomfortable to watch Holmes pine over Watson as he attempts to move on with his life, and out of 221B, but when they're on the case together, their clever cohesion is a delight to watch.

Jude Law's Watson is a bit of a different character. He's street-wise, with a bit of a gambling problem, and "reluctantly" takes on the role of care-giver when Holmes goes too far off the deep end. Throughout the film, he is trying to move forward, developping a relationship with a woman, and moving out on his own, but is constantly drawn back to the high-risk adventure of crime-solving.

Oh yeah, there's also a story going on. In it, badguy Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong), is apparently using the dark arts to bring about some kind of new world order. Along for the ride is Rachel McAdams, who plays an old flame of Holmes, and is the only one to have ever out-smarted him. At the end of the day, however, their involvement mainly serves as a vehicle for Holmes and Watson to do their thing. Blackwood's witchcraft does provide a constant irriation (and I think I mean that as a good thing) in that it makes you question whether or not he is actually calling upon supernatural forces. If he is, Holmes is completely out of his league, and if not, Holmes still doesn't quite know what's going on. By the end, the answer is revealed in a clusterfuck of references to earlier scenes, which hits you with as much information as a kid returning from a week at summer camp after knocking back a Red Bull.

The movie also heavily hints at a sequel. Considering its nearly forgettable story, I look forward to another take, giving the chance for the characters to do their stuff with an even more worthwhile case. Really, I could watch these two do anything... except that.... okay, maybe that.

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment