Monday, March 22, 2010

The Beatles - Help!


Help! - 4
The Night Before - 3
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - 4
I Need You - 3
Another Girl - 3
You're Going To Lose That Girl - 3
Ticket To Ride - 3
Act Naturally - 3
It's Only Love - 3
You Like Me Too Much - 3
Tell Me What You See - 3
I've Just Seen A Face - 4
Yesterday - 4
Dizzy Miss Lizzy - 3
Total - 46 stars / 14 tracks = 3.29 stars

My battle with myself continues as I confront my unpopular belief that The Beatles took awhile to hit a good stride. Possibly unfair words like "fluffy" and "disposable" have been tossed around describing A Hard Day's Night, but Help! seems to be the first step toward what would eventually become the Beatles' greatness.

First up is "Help!," a catchy, vocally layered song that I still love, especially the outro, after many many listenings.

Next of note is "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," which I first heard covered by Eddie Vedder. Essentially similar, both versions are lyrically enjoyable, and the "Hey!" of the chorus is iconically jarring.

I first heard "I've Just Seen A Face" on the Across The Universe soundtrack, that I may like partially out of a man-crush on Jim Sturgess. Nonetheless, this, original version, is notably playful and simple.

"Yesterday" is one of my favourite Beatles songs, although its brilliance is more due to tone rather than lyrics. Paying too close of attention reveals it to be a standard song that just clicked at all the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment