Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night


A Hard Day's Night - 4
I Should Have Known Better - 3
If I Fell - 3
I'm Happy Just To Dance With You - 3
And I Love Her - 3
Tell Me Why - 3
Can't Buy Me Love - 4
Any Time At All - 3
I'll Cry Instead - 4
Things We Said Today - 3
When I Get Home - 3
You Can't Do That - 3
I'll Be Back - 3
Total - 42 stars / 13 tracks = 3.23 stars

I've said it before, but I'm not a big fan of early Beatles. Even the two popular singles I "liked:" "A Hard Day's Night" and "Can't Buy Me Love" are enjoyable in great part due to their familiarity. The only other standout song, "I'll Cry Instead" scrambles above the rest because of its catchiness and the bullshit douchebaggery of the singer. It's a cute, honestly dishonest song about a guy who's heart is broken as he struggles to maintain his tough guy composure while constantly wanting to simply cry.

The rest of the album feels... and I hate to say this, disposable. So, one of three things has happened here. 1) I have really missed the boat on some quality music. 2) People love this album because it's the Beatles, not because it's actually good. 3) There's some kind of cultural importance to this album that allows people to see past its averageness (kind of like Pet Sounds, but that's a different story). To me, it's an interesting look at the beginnings of the Beatles' recording career, kind of like reading my Deviantart poems. They're not good, but, at the time, they were the best I could do.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of the hoopla surrounding this album is the fact that it's their first that is comprised of all original material. Couple that with a very 'of-it's-time-but-still-works-today-due-to-it's-absurdity' film. The film actually can help bring a higher appreciation of some of the tunes, the best example of which I can think of is "I Should've Known Better."

    ReplyDelete