Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Downchild - I Need A Hat


This Must Be Love - 3
I Need A Hat - 4
Somebody Lied - 3
You Don't Love Me - 3
Rendezvous - 3
Down In The Delta - 3
Time To Say Goodbye - 3
What Was I Thinking - 3
These Thoughts Keep On Marching - 3
Some More Of That - 3
El Stew - 3
Total - 34 stars / 11 tracks = 3.09 stars, standardized to 2.9 stars

Oh how I wish I liked this album. Along with Colin Linden's From The Water, this CD was given to me, autographed, as a gift. While I by no means resent or am disappointed, as the gift and the general exchange of music is an exciting concept, I do, sincerely, hope that this album is not indicative of everything this band is known for.

The only song I particularly enjoyed, the title track, "I Need A Hat" is a delightful song about a man whose pursuit of credibility all comes down to his possession of a good blues hat.

And that's about it. In reading Chuck Klosterman's book Eating The Dinosaur, he cites an interview with an uncredited person who says that "I think we've taken the blues as far as tey can go... I don't see the need for any new blues." Now I'm not blues-educated enough to agree with that judgment, but after hearing this album, I'm certainly not prepared to argue it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment