Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country


Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken - 4
Tears For Affairs - 3
Come Back Margaret - 3
Dory Previn - 3
The False Contender - 3
Let's Get Out Of This Country - 4
Country Mile - 4
If Looks Could Kill - 3
I Need All The Friends I Can Get - 3
Razzle Dazzle Rose - 3
Total - 33 stars / 10 tracks = 3.30 stars, normalized to 3.4 stars

Disposable is a cruel world to use to describe somebody's music, and it isn't one that fairly describes Let's Get Out Of This Country. Nonetheless, this isn't the kind of music that either immediately resonates nor does it latch on, demanding repeated listenings. Some of the songs, "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken," for instance, are the kind of aesthetically pleasing that they make for good final credit, or heartwarming montage music for pseudo-indy romantic comedies, but listening to the whole album doesn't inspire me to go out and listen to more (although, I do also have their 2009 album, My Maudlin Career, to listen to... although more out of stubborn insistence on listening to every CD I get my hands on, rather than enthusiastic fandom).

No comments:

Post a Comment