Friday, April 9, 2010

John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band


Mother - 3
Hold On - 3
I Found Out - 4
Working Class Hero - 4
Isolation - 3
Remember - 3
Love - 3
Well, Well, Well - 4
Look At Me - 3
God - 4
My Mummy's Dead - 4
Total - 38 stars / 11 tracks = 3.45 stars, normalized to 3.7 stars

My understanding is that this album is a deeply personal work for John Lennon. What really surprises me is that, despite this, it can feel, at times, universal. Take "Working Class Hero," for example. I am a semi-spoiled child from an upper middle class family and honestly have no reason to feel any connection to the song. Nonetheless, I am moved by the song and the album in a way that I have no business being.

The other personal highlight for me was the list song "God," wherein Lennon rhymes off all of the things he doesn't believe in before announcing that the only thing he does believe in is himself. That's something I really can relate to... except I also believe in Joss Whedon and Cadbury Mini Eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment