Friday, April 9, 2010

The Doors - L.A. Woman


The Changeling - 4
Love Her Madly - 3
Been Down So Long - 3
Cars Hiss By My Window - 3
L.A. Woman - 3
L'America - 4
Hyacinth House - 4
Crawling King Snake - 3
The Wasp (Texas Radio And The Big Beat) - 4
Riders On The Storm - 4
Total - 35 stars / 10 tracks = 3.50 stars, normalized to 3.8 stars

I, once again, in the spirit of admitting to having never listened to music that I should be intimately aware of, have now lost my Doors virginity. I'm a little upset that no one ever pushed it on me before. With all the Zeppelin, Ramones, and Blondie t-shirts that I invariably see every day, The Doors, at least, deserve a beanie or something, because, at least according to this album, they are pretty awesome.

While I would never be brave enough to say that I don't like the Blues, I am comfortable saying that most Blues bores (bore?) me. It takes a special kind of emotionality or variation to get me over the repetitive nature of its form. Where The Doors do it well is by not being constrained by the style. They borrow what they need to from Blues, and just fill in the rest with Rock and psychodelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment