Friday, August 6, 2010

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland


Sorry folks, but the copy of the album I have has this cover, and not the one with all the boobies, so it's the one I'm posting. Plus I'm not sure what Blogger's rules are about that sort of thing. So, away we go.

...And The Gods Made Love - 4
Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland) - 3
Crosstown Traffic - 4
Voodoo Chile - 4
Little Miss Strange - 4
Long Hot Summer Night - 3
Come On (Let The Good Times Roll) - 3
Gypsy Eyes - 4
Burning Of The Midnight Lamp - 3
Rainy Day, Dream Away - 3
1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) - 4
Moon, Turn The Tides... Gently, Gently - 4
Still Raining, Still Dreaming - 4
House Burning Down - 4
All Along The Watchtower - 4
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - 4
Total - 60 stars / 16 tracks = 3.75 stars, normalized to 4.4 stars

I've said some scathing things on this site before, and this probably isn't one of them, but I know I'm going against popular opinion when I say that Electric Ladyland is just a smidge better than Are You Experienced?. It may just be how the math works out, but I felt better, and more consistently connected to the music of EL, thinking things that I've never thought before like "Yeah man, I can dig it," or "That sly cat sure know how to play." Even if you're a total musical poseur like myself, listening to this album makes you cooler.

Unlike the afore-reviewed Axis: Bold As Love, even the more psychedelic trip-tracks are still listenable and enjoyable without the assistance of chemicals. This is evident immediately from the openings; Axis has the chaotic "EXP," while Ladyland's "...And The Gods Made Love" presents the more accessible eartrip.

Feel free to disagree, but don't expect me to change my mind. As far as I'm concerned, Electric Ladyland is the best thing Hendrix and co. ever recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment