Monday, February 7, 2011

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky


I have written nicer reviews than the one I wrote about Wilco's album Summerteeth. This is going to be another one.

The first song on Sky Blue Sky I particularly liked was the title track. "Sky Blue Sky" is a mellow, very listenable song, with a catchiness that you don't want to sing along with because it's just fine without your voice added in.

Next is "Side With The Seeds," a louder, bluesier song with a very cool instrumental outtro.

"Hate It Here" is a great break-up song, all about a man learning how to keep house, on the off chance that when she comes home, she'll be impressed with his domestic acumen. Either that or it's about a guy trying to distract himself from his depression by doing the dishes. Whichever interpretation, it's a great song, with classic lyrics like "What am I gonna do if I run out of lawn to mow?"

Then you've got honky-tonk ditty "Walken," with its addictive, jaunty, playful piano.

"What Light" will have you singing along before you realize what you're doing. It's the kind of song that may get better with familiarity. At least, it'll get more familiar.

Wrapping up the album is "On and On and On," a cyclical, hypnotic, simple enough song. With its repetitive structure, you can't help but notice the changes in instrumentation, volume, and intensity.

After listening to this album, I'm quite tempted to say that I'm a fan of the Wilco. I'll even make it official... There. I've now "liked" Wilco on Facebook. Doesn't get much more official than that.

Rating: 3.4 stars





Tomorrow: North By Northwest

No comments:

Post a Comment