Friday, February 4, 2011

Big Star - Radio City


There's a certain "Big Star" sound that makes me mostly indifferent to their music. On both this album and their debut LP, #1 Record, it has been the un-Big Starian songs that have been the most engaging.

The first one, "What's Going Ahn," have a more distinct sound, with the semi-hypnotizing vocals swooning over a very listenable guitar backing.

Near the end, you get the kind of strange, ballady, minute-and-a-half "Morpha Too." The uniqueness of its aural aesthetic just pops out and insists on attention being paid to it.

Finishing off the album is "I'm In Love With A Girl," a song that in my notes I told myself to relisten to, as it is "Nice and simple... Perhaps too nice? Too simple?" But, in doing the aforementioned relisten, I find myself liking it even more.

Rating: 3.3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment