Monday, November 23, 2009

Blind Melon - Soup

Galaxie - 4
2x4 - 4
Vernie - 3
Skinned - 4
Toes Across The Floor - 4
Walk - 4
Dumptruck - 3
Car Seat (God's Presents) - 4
Wilt - 3
The Duke - 4
St. Andrew's Fall - 4
New Life - 3
Mouthful Of Cavities - 5
Lemonade - 3
Total - 52 stars / 14 tracks = 3.71 stars

Most of the songs on this album stand alone, with a distinctive voice that distinguishes it from its partners. Some of them get a little too weird for me to love ("Lemonade") but others get downright captivating once the different layers get going ("Mouthful Of Cavities"). Going in, I loved that I had never heard any of these songs before. It allowed for an experience, absolutely free of cultural context, in which I could just sit and listen to some really great music. I know I'm about a decade late in saying this, but since I'm new to Blind Melon, it's news to me: I wish Shannon Hoon wasn't dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment