Sunday, January 3, 2010

Rollins Band - Weight


Disconnect - 4
Fool - 3
Icon - 3
Civilized - 3
Divine - 4
Liar - 4
Step Back - 3
Wrong Man - 3
Volume - 3
Tired - 3
Alien Blueprint - 3
Shine - 3
Total - 39 stars / 12 tracks = 3.17 stars

Hank, you're one angry dude.

I'd never listened to any of Rollins' music before. No Black Flag, no Rollins Band. I only know him from seeing him during one of his speaking tours, where he went on rants left-wing enough to make me uncomfortable. As a musician, he's not a whole lot different, using honest, simple language with a rough, chaotic undertone.

The two tracks that stood out for me were "Divine" and "Liar": "Divine" because of its strong imagery of public hatred, and "Liar" because of its honest self-examination.

I'm going to see Rollins speak again later this year, and hopefully, with this album under my belt, it will give me a little bit more context, and allow me to catch some of the more nuanced portions of his speeches. That is, in between the parts where he talks about kicking the faces of Southern women, in order to bite off the genitalia of their incestuous, rapist fathers. His words, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment