Sunday, January 24, 2010

U2 - Zooropa


Zooropa - 3
Babyface - 3
Lemon - 2
Stay (Faraway, So Close) - 3
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 3
Some Days Are Better Than Others - 3
The First Time - 4
Dirty Day - 3
The Wanderer - 3
Total - 27 stars / 9 tracks = 3.00 stars

Move over, War, I've got a new least favourite U2 album. Zooropa, the follow-up to the incredible Achtung Baby had very little that grabbed my attention, let alone impressed me. There were two stand-out tracks, although for entirely different reasons.

"Lemon" was a bizarre experience, with its shrill vocals and irritating synth backing. I can only take Bono singing the word "lemon" in a piercing falsetto so many times before I want to assault him.

I don't really think that "The First Time" was particularly great, it just has an effective swell that I get caught up in.

I had high hopes for "The Wanderer," mostly because of the guest vocals by Johnny Cash. As it turns out, Cash is the only thing keeping it afloat, since the song's gravity is stripped away by the Cyndi Lauper-y "instrumentals."

In looking up this album on Wikipedia, I just discovered that I am missing "Numb." After listening to it again, the track ratings now look like this.

Zooropa - 3
Babyface - 3
Numb - 4
Lemon - 2
Stay (Faraway, So Close) - 3
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 3
Some Days Are Better Than Others - 3
The First Time - 4
Dirty Day - 3
The Wanderer - 3
Total - 31 stars / 10 tracks = 3.10 stars

So, considering that "Numb" is actually pretty cool, especially considering the neatness of having The Edge take lead vocals, mathematically speaking, I actually like Zooropa as much as I liked War. That's still not saying much.

No comments:

Post a Comment