Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour


Magical Mystery Tour - 3
The Fool On The Hill - 3
Flying - 3
Blue Jay Way - 4
Your Mother Should Know - 3
I Am The Walrus - 4
Hello Goodbye - 4
Strawberry Fields Forever - 4
Penny Lane - 4
Baby You're A Rich Man - 4
All You Need Is Love - 4
Total - 40 stars / 11 tracks = 3.64 stars, normalized to 4.2 stars

The thing I love more than nearly anything else in music (and I can't think of anything else, we'll say, for the purpose of this review, that this is a totally definitive statement) is variety in the context of a comfortable voice. If, in one album, I can be made to want to dance, start a hippie commune, take drugs, or just plain wish that I could make music this good, it makes for a special experience.

Not everything on Magical Mystery Tour does it for me. Where Sgt. Pepper's first song was whimsical in its introduction, "Magical Mystery Tour" is more direct, and less fun in its carnival-caller style. Then there's "The Fool On The Hill," which sounds kind of like a Disney song that should be sung by a possum.

Once we hit the sixth track, however, the awesome doesn't look back. If there was an award for Best B-Side of an album (or especially Best B-Side + Last Track From A-Side), then my vote would likely go to Magical Mystery Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment