Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Let Love In


Do You Love Me? - 3
Nobody's Baby Now - 4
Loverman - 4
Jangling Jack - 3
Red Right Hand - 4
I Let Love In - 4
Thirsty Dog - 4
Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore - 3
Lay Me Low - 3
Do You Love Me? (Part Two) - 3
Total - 35 stars / 10 tracks = 3.50 stars, normalized to 3.8 stars

Listening to this album, there was little question in my mind that this was the music that Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds wanted to be making. I didn't get any inclination of compromise or inauthenticity. This sounds like music that somebody dreamed up and recorded without interference or intervention.

I'm positive that the comparison has been made before, but this album sounds like good Tom Waits stuff. My favourite track, "Red Right Hand," in particular, reminds me of "Way Down In The Hole" from Frank's Wild Years. Many of the other songs are captivating, elevated by Cave's distinct, immersive voice. I've still got another NC&TBS album to listen to (The Boatman's Call) and it's probably the one I'm looking forward to the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment