Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby


In going over my notes, I apparently didn't think much about this album as I was listening to it. The one song comment I wrote is that the last track, "Coney Island Baby" is "big and important sounding," which I still agree with. It sounds like the anthem for a disaffected youth, although it's not the best song on this album.

That honour goes to "Kicks," which may be the sexiest song I've ever heard.

I'm not generally one for plagiarism, but in reading some other people's criticisms of this album, I had to laugh at what a gentleman named BinokularWest had to say in his review over at RateYourMusic.com. There, in his 2.5 star rating, he said,

"My cat liked this album.

It works well as background music for a leisurely hangout with friends and music buddies, but under circumstances NOT involving smoking and drinking, it'll most likely bore you.


My fucking girlfriend took the cat from me when she left.
You forgot CONEY ISLAND BABY, BITCH! A CAT SUCH AS SQUIRTY CAN'T LIVE OFF OF JONI MITCHELL RECORDS ALONE!"

I realize that this adds nothing to my own contribution toward critical analysis of Coney Island Baby, but I just like what this guy had to say. And besides, except for strongly recommending "Kicks," I really don't have much else to say about it.

Rating: 3.0 stars




Tomorrow: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

No comments:

Post a Comment