Monday, February 28, 2011

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground


Of the three that I have heard, there is no question in my mind that, more than The Velvet Underground & Nico or Loaded, The Velvet Underground is my favourite, and the best, Velvet Underground album.

"What Goes On" sounds like it liked what The Doors were doing back in 1967 and figured they should give it a try.

"Some Kinda Love" shows signs of the planted seeds that would eventually become the super-sexy song "Kicks" on Lou Reed's solo album, Coney Island Baby.

"Pale Blue Eyes" escapes from its own muck. It starts off with the second-grade (and by that I mean the 2nd grade, as in 8-year-olds) introduction to poetry:
"Sometimes I feel so happy / sometimes I feel so sad
Sometimes I feel so happy / but mostly you just make me mad."
After the ridiculous opening, you're able to get into the simple, lulling melody, all the way through the lullaby-like guitar solo.

The next song of particular note is "The Murder Mystery," an initially (and still quite a way through) overwhelming and incredible experience. After a minute or two, once you realize that there are just two voices blasting you with overlapping different speeds of speech, the song loses some of its mystique, but it still catches me off guard even after multiple listenings.

The album wraps up with the incredibly sweet "After Hours," starring the sweet vocals of drummer Maureen Tucker. It's a huge contrast with "The Murder Mystery" and a really nice way to finish off an album.

Other recommended songs:
"Candy Says"

Rating: 4.1 stars





Tomorrow: Independence Day

No comments:

Post a Comment